Monday, January 27, 2014

Interracial Dating

Like most people aimlessly perusing social media, you may encounter frequent Facebook recommendations of 'Pages you may like'. These pages usually shuffle about depending upon your internet usage and profile stats, etc. Also, if you delete a particular page out of disinterest, it tends to go away. If you don't know how the internet works, you may be wondering how Facebook is so specific with their ad targeting and page suggestions. The simple answer is cookies. 

Not lovely, sweet, soft, chocolatey cookies, but cookies in the form of little software bots.
I like to imagine them like this:


Essentially, sites like Facebook drop little cookies on your computer (or phone or whatever device you're using) and these adorable (?) guys gather information about your online activities and report it back to the mothership. The home site then uses this information to recommend ads and "Pages you may like!", with the hope of better catching your interest.

The cookies have been hard at work on my computer and have unearthed the following identifying information:

My status is set to single.

I do about half of my online searches in 한국어, the other half in English

My Google search history is centered mostly around the following:
Pictures of Korean food
Naver 사전
How to get away with not washing my hair for another day
(모모모) 가사
Class-related minutiae

And questions like
Who the heck is andrew garfield?
What is the etymology of the phrase 'open sesame'? 
and
When were goldfish domesticated?

Based on this information, Facebook whipped up the following:

"You may like: Interracial Dating!"

More accurately, Facebook has decided to remind me daily that I "may like Interracial Dating", despite my persistence that I would rather not take advice on my life decisions from an army of cookies.

But thanks for lookin' out for me, Facebook.





P.S. Gotchya.

2 comments:

  1. With all the Portuguese splattered across my news feed, I'm surprised that interracial dating has never been suggested to me! I'm offended.

    ReplyDelete