Friday, January 27, 2012

This is how I do.

Have you ever been sitting in a meeting and thrilled yourself with the thought that there is absolutely nothing stopping you from jumping up on the table and dancing the macarena? Nothing besides your own sense of propriety, of course. I often find myself entertaining the thought of doing the wildly spontaneous or the uncharacteristically bold.
Sometimes the idea of doing something I would never do is too attractive to resist. So I do it.
Last week, on my way home from anatomy lab, I was on top of the world. Brimming with joy, I itched to skip my way home like a giddy school girl. But of course, I wouldn't do that, for fear of being scorned by my fellow students.
So I skipped home.
I have a reputation for being a straight-laced, picture-straightener type of person. And until recently, spontaneity hasn't been my thing. This is a change of recent years. This is quite outside my comfort zone. This is how I got over my fear of donating blood. It's how I ran for Risa. It's how I got my hair cut today.
Maybe a hair cut doesn't seem like a big deal to most people. But after a long history of playing it safe, spontaneous haircuts are a first for me. After running an errand at the mall, I was passing a salon on the way out and thought, "I could cut my hair right now. But I wouldn't." So I did.

Here ya go mom, because you asked so nicely:

On on unrelated, totally related note, do you know how hard it is for me to take a picture of myself and post it on the internet? It's like this:

I hope you're happy.

2 comments:

  1. I AM happy! By golly gum, Megan, I'm so proud of you! I've been dying to get me some fringe like that for a while now, but I haven't because I don't think I could pull it off. I am insanely jealous of you and your dollish face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure you were aware of this, but your eyes are different colors. I thought you might like to know.

    ReplyDelete