Saturday, February 4, 2012

Not Obsessive, Just Compulsive

As I began to empty the freshly-laundered contents of my hamper onto my bed this evening, I prepared my mind for the delicious refuge that is weekend folding. During the week, I tend to get consumed by homework I need to do, exams I need to study for, papers I need to write, classes I need to not be late for. But when I'm folding, I enjoy the blissful retreat of pondering life's eternal mysteries, doing mental check-ups on my loved-ones, and appraising my progress toward my most lofty aspirations. Vacuuming has a similar potential effect, but the temptation to sing loudly without anyone hearing usually wins out.

I folded all of the towels, then the night shirts, and was half-way through the socks when my thoughts turned to Genevieve. Her birthday is coming up. I miss her. I often think of her when I'm folding because she is such an expert folder. Really. I would estimate that about ninety percent of the time, I am dissatisfied with my fold-quality and I itch to fold and re-fold until things are looking right, but my rational brain tells me to just let it go and get the job done. Genevieve applies the same tender care and precision to each fold that we wish we all did. Perhaps those outside of the vanity-folding community may not understand, but a finished stack of t-shirts, carefully arranged by Genevieve, is a beauty to behold. Ultimately, it's not about vanity; I know I'm the only one who sees the contents of my dresser drawers. It's a matter a principle, of putting care into your work and doing something that makes you feel good inside. (And by 'you', I suppose I really mean 'me'.)

So I refolded everything. I took my time. I made beautiful, even, wrinkle-free stacks of towels, night-clothes, and socks. I then proceeded to re-make my bed, complete with hospital corners. I emptied my dresser and made pretty little stacks of running clothes, tank tops, t-shirts and the like -all the while, musing and meditating, reflecting and resolving.

It's a trivial thing, but it's a small way to clear some clutter and clear your mind. I wouldn't suggest obsessively arranging your every possession in an attempt to achieve balance in your life, but you might try listening to that voice that encourages you to try a little harder, to stop cutting corners, to do the job you often wish you did. There are endless applications. Laundry, I have found, is a nice place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment