Saturday, March 3, 2012

They Call It Xanadu...

I wake up every morning with a song in my head. It's as though my eyes flick open and someone presses the play button as the bluish morning light floods in. This first song usually sets the theme for the music I'll be listening to for the rest of the day.
For no less than 10 days in a row, beginning in mid-February, I woke up to this:


Uh-huh.
It should probably be pointed out that my 'alarm' is my cell phone set to vibrate, so it's not as if the tone of it is stimulating some kind of reflexive synaptic response in the form of musical memory. I have no idea where Xanadu comes from.

After the 'Xanadu Spell', the next several days looked like this:



(Dramatic intro and all:)
Side note: I sense an unfortunate lack of Loverboy in the world today. With a classy album cover like this, how were they ever forgotten?


Flawless. And buttery smooth.

This song feels like skipping through fields of daisies.

And then this morning:


Which is funny, since I'm not in love. I guess I'm just really feeling Van Halen. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Van Halen for their numerous contributions to my collection of power ballad love songs.
Thank you, Van Halen.

I don't really expect you to listen to all of them. It's alright. But doing so might help you more-fully comprehend the utter unpredictability of this phenomenon -and why I burst out laughing one morning when this sprang to life between my ears:


I apologize in advance for the Xanadu Spell you are likely to experience over the next week and a half. All I can say is: enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment